This winter has hosted some FIERCE storms. And while many are home trying to stay warm, it’s a great time for your daughter to head outdoors. She can turn her talents into a cold hard cash.
Start a snow shoveling business!
I know. I know. It’s hard work! But it’s also quite lucrative.
- The elderly and disabled need extra help.
- And even those who don’t wish getting cold need extra help. They would much happier paying a motivated team of young shovelers to complete the task.
I noticed something interesting after our three storms this year. There are fewer young people offering to shovel. I didn’t have anyone approach me to assist with my car this year. And there are tons of young people in my area. So there is less competition and more opportunity!
Set up is easy. Follow the three steps listed below. Your daughter can have a functioning business in less time than it takes for the next storm to rain down another fifteen inches of snow.
Step 1: Plan
- What’s the geographic area that your daughter wants to visit?
- You can keep it hyper local to your block. Or you can walk to a nearby area where there aren’t many young people willing to shovel.
- How much does your daughter want to charge?
- I recommend she focus on a few services like driveways, sidewalks and/or cars. Don’t feel compelled to do everything. Focus on what will have the biggest demand and be the most fun to complete.
Step 2: Payment Options
Give customers a variety of payment options. It will help garner more “yes’s” than “no’s”.
- You can opt for cash only, cash and checks, and/or electronic payment – ie Paypal.
- Electronic options are great for those who didn’t visit the ATM before the storm.
- If you are tech savvy, Paypal and Square have mobile options allow you to swipe credit cards via your phone.
- **Make sure an adult supervises your transactions.
Step 3: Marketing
Marketing this business is eassssyyy! You’ll have more demand than you have energy to shovel!!
- You can get creative and post flyers. Or just knock door by door as a team.
- If you use flyers, make sure your contact information is listed clearly so customers can easily place their order.
Wishing you the best with your new business!!